Monday, February 9, 2009

English Paper I wrote a wile ago

Mood Piece

Mist danced through the damp spring air as slivers of sunlight flickered in between masses of colorful trees. I sat beside yellow flowers that swayed in breeze; their buds dancing and fluttering through the swooshing wind. Ants scuttled up the soft mahogany wood that grew from velvety dirt. Watching as the tree sprouted its branches in every direction, birds sat perched on its crooked form. A gorgeous butterfly zipped and flew around my head and landed on my arm. Its brightly colored wings radiated out. Sitting on a log, I looked at the endless horizon everything was so amazingly beautiful even though an aching in my stomach bothered me. Or maybe in my side, it almost felt like it was in my bones; a feeling that made me want to shiver and crumple in fear, though it wasn ’ t fear that was bothering me. Trying to forget about it I noticed as the clouds above me bubbling and caressing around the blue sky. It became darker, hour by hour, until it was as black as midnight, and the crows wouldn ’ t dare to look at the moon looming overhead. The warmth disappeared into the empty air. Silence draped around me like a thick curtain. My own fears trapped. Broken, splintered trees beside me seemed to tower above me and claw at my mind. I could feel the shivers as they slivered and darted through my body. The icy windstrangled me, yanking my hair in tangled knots and pinching my arms like wasps. Sharp cracks of thunder terrified me and shook the no longer velvet dirt. Running, I could feel the mangled limbs of trees dart out at me, and moldy, crumpled roots grab at my ankles. I let out a shriek and my bones quivered at the emptiness of the forest. Lighting whipped at me and slashed through the heavy air. I dodged each strike and hid from the darkness. Electricity buzzed through my body, and tingled at my fingertips. The feeling in the wind was indescribable; as if the lightning was giving off an aura. Another thunderous clap knocked me to the muddy ground. A cold, clammy hand grasped my shoulder and slid down my back. I froze with fear and shut my eyes. My clothes were drenched with dried clumps of mud. The rain splattered around me as smoky clouds heaved more water down to the ground. I watched in horror as a tall, bare tree was split down the middle, an enormous explosive crack echoed around me. Bright red and blue flames lit the broken, dead tree. Its branches melted off and burned to the ground. The hot fire licked at my face and radiated burning heat. My clothes and hands rippled in the smoke that trailed in the wind. My lungs burned as dried dust and burnt wood puffed down my throat. Tears streamed down my monstrously lit face; the rain seemed to evaporatebefore it reached the fire. My heart lurched from my chest and I felt a longing for something. Though I didn ’ t know why, my blood froze cold in my back and I felt devastated; but only terrifying thoughts entered my mind. Red and orange tints darted around trees and brush; I could only imagine what could be lurking behind me. But as I turned, flames leaped in my face. Turning in endless circles, I searched for an end to the maze. My screams weren ’ t heard; not only was there no one to hear them, but the suffocating smoke swallowed them. Running terrified, I slipped on a soggy patch of grass and slid to the cool creek below. Tumbling and tripping down the endless hill, I plunged into the ice water. My arms and face cooled and stopped stinging. I breathed a sigh of relief and looked up at the numerous stars above the trees. The dried mud fell from my shirt and pants and hair. I immersed myself in the water and plunged my head under. The rain softened to a drizzle causing droplets of water to ripple on the glassy surface. Looking up from underneath the water the vision was distorted and foggy, but I still noticed a large gilled fish winding around the moonlight. Lifting my head from the water I looked above me and found that the sky had cleared. Behind me the remains of the dwindling fire twisted and twirled menacingly. Suddenly I shivered and let out a shaky breath, the water really was icecold. My numb fingers limply grabbed at the slippery edge of the pond and thrust myself up. I stretched my aching arms and legs and tossed my self on a patch of dry grass. Staring at the sky my eyes drooped shut and I dozed off to and almost dreamless state. I still had emptiness at the pit of my being, something that gnawed at me and nevertheless ached in my soul. It wasn ’ t fear. It was something colder, and darker; something that shook my whole body from pain, but I couldn ’ t quite find what was hurting. It was loneliness. I only had an empty sky filled with meaningless specks and a white moon eye that stared cruelly down at me. I was only a small fragment of what made up this universe, one in billions; surrounded by thousands; going to school with hundreds, in a overpopulated world- and yet I had never felt so alone. Old memories and events flashed through my mind and I tried to decipher why and how I could be so lonely and empty. Trying so hard to find something, anything that could explain this epiphany, I realized how tired I really was. My mind collapsed into a deep sleep; I was completely numb. The world around me stopped spinning, and all of those millions and billions of people didn’t matter anymore, because when I woke up, I was free.

1 comment:

  1. jackie, this is amazing! you're a great writer! (and all the time yo'ure complimenting...*ME*?!...no. no.)
    this is really good, and i hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete